Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lesson Learned: don't iron Aussie $$


As you will remember Mum and Dad, we have been trying to find a way to display Joel's Aussie $$ collection. I found a frame that will take all the bills - similar to the one you found for us at Castleton Square Mall, but larger so all the bills are displayed.

The $20 was a little crumpled - so I thought I'd give it a quick press before framing it. Ha!

Will a bank take back a maimed bill and trade it for a new one? If so - I'll mail it to Mum for an exchange. If not, I'll send some US$ and we'll trade at Valda's International Bank of Australia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear! It might have been OK with a press cloth. Too late. Send if you think it worth the postage and I will try the bank.

Love
Mum

Anonymous said...

Aunty Lesle says she has heard of laundered money, but not pressed money, perhaps you are on to something.
CC

Anonymous said...

when I worked in the bank, ages ago when money was still made of paper,we used toaccept any note that was damaged (we called them 'mutes', for mutilated) as long as more than half the note was present. You should be able to get a bank to exchange it - even a currency exchange station over your way should take it and exchange.
I once cashed a cheque for a woman who had 'laundered' it and then ironed it - it was bad, but it looked better than your 20!
Actually, your 20 almost kind of looks a bit like a map of Australia come to think of it.

leisa said...

I'll mail it to you Mum and we'll see what the bank will do.

Makes for a good story.

Anonymous said...

Leisa,

Upon looking again at that $20 note it would appear that it might have shrivelled up with all the cold weather you are getting over there at the moment.

CC.