Saturday, February 28, 2009

Updated fireplace tile

BEFORE

The tile installed around the fireplace when I built this house was cheap and "vanilla" looking. The hearth was narrow and several years ago Joel had a log roll out of the fireplace and scorch the carpet. I have been wanting to re-tile for years and Kevin and his Dad - Russ, have the tools and skill.

I love the new look! It makes the fireplace stand out much more and makes it a feature in the room. We extended the hearth which has made it appear to be in a better scale. I am still undecided on whether to paint the mantle a different color and what to do with the Heritage Wall. I think i am going to move it and put something different above the fireplace.


....AND AFTER

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fire place looks great. Love the colours.

Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Leisa,
Your house and you have to live with it, but,would not your present Heritage Wall, or what little I am able to see of it, be more in keeping with the apparent ' brickey, rustic style' of your new fireplace?

I like what I see there anyway.

Love

CC.

leisa said...

I think the Heritage Wall does still look nice with the new rustic tile...but I think I am ready for a change above the fireplace. Thinking about putting the Heritage pictures on the wall going up the stairs.

Anonymous said...

L,
I hope that you did not mis-interpret my last. I merely meant that as it is your house and you are the one who has to live in it, it is your final decision.
I like very much the new fireplace,and its style, and felt that although I had not seen your Heritage wall it would be an appropriate place to have it above the fireplace.
But of course it's finally your decision.
Hope that the weather is not as cold where you are, as it is on the east coast around Washington.
Love
CC.

Anny Kraal said...

Hi Lisa,
What a huge difference; it looks great!! I know what you mean about being ready for a change... I personally always like a nice mirror above the fire place; it gives the impression the room is larger and whatever is put on the mantlepiece gives a nice reflection. A Pro Hart wouldn't look to bad either, ha, ha, as if...One day we'll pop-in to see what you came up with! Love Anny & Adrian